It's not a good feeling to enter your South Durham home or business and smell a musty odor or see a strange substance on the walls, ceiling or flooring area. you may wonder if it may be mold, why it's there, and how to properly clean it. SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County's crews are ready to properly re-mediate any mold issues in your home or business.
What is Mold?
- Molds are part of the natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. When mold is indoors, it can cause problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. It's important to find out why the mold is there and re-mediate it properly.
- Mold needs moisture to grow. The way to control mold growth indoors is to control moisture. Oftentimes mold will grow on areas that have been affected by a leak, or other water intrusion. The presence of moisture allowed the mold to grow on a source of food, such as drywall, wood, vinyl or other surfaces.
- If you discover a mold problem, don't wait to address the issue. Mold damages what it grows on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause. It's strongly recommended that if the affected area is over 10 square feet, that professional mold remediation is performed to prevent causing further issues.
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy. mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
Our expert crews at SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County are prepared should you suspect a mold issue. We're ready to help identify the source, dry the area, re-mediate the mold, and assist in the verification of air quality. No matter the size of the area affected, should you suspect your home or business is affected with mold growth, SERVPRO of South Durham and Orange County is ready to provide professional remediation services.